REFLECTOR: Thanks, great resource!

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 23:45:13 CDT 2014

It is a great forum, and I know my aircraft is safer because of it. And for
that reason I'm going to share my blunder last month.....

I was just swapping a couple of the wires on a toggle switch behind the
panel.  I pulled off one of the faston connectors and pushed it out of the
way. It was a ground wire, and happened to land on a wire tied directly to
the positive battery terminal.  It is the only wire in the whole airplane
which doesn't have a fuse or circuit breaker between it and the battery. But
it is the hot lead to the circuit breaker for the Plasma III, and Klaus says
it needs to go directly to the battery.

I knew there was a problem when I saw a wire glowing red and smelled smoke.
My first thought was, "It's going to burn, and I don't have a fire
extinguisher."  That was a very helpless feeling.  The airport had a fire
extinguisher right next to the plane in the hangar, but it was old and dusty
and I never noticed it there before.

The wire melted before there were any flames. But it also melted the
insulation of some of the adjacent wires in the bundle, so I had to pull the
carpet and cut into the wiring conduit to inspect everything. It had melted
6 other wires and both nylaflow brake lines. So the next 4 days were spent
fixing that little mistake.

I reduced the gauge of the Plasma III hot wire from 20 awg to 22 awg so that
it would melt sooner next time.  I also put it inside its own personal
nylaflow conduit from the battery lead to the panel.  And I promised myself
that in the future I would never perform even trivial electrical work on the
airplane without disconnecting the battery first....

Doug