REFLECTOR: Wolfram alph

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:35:12 CDT 2014

Guys,

I'm not sure if any of you use Wolfram Alpha.  For those of you who don't
know what it is, its sort of a search engine that allows you to do rather
complex math.  What I like most about it, is that it works out all the
units for you.

Right now, I'm thinking about making a ram air scoop, so I'm trying to
figure out exactly what size intake I need.  Here's a little Wolfram Alpha
link that I used to calculate the pressure increase in inches Hg that I
might be able to achieve.

Pressure = (Density of air)/2*(Airspeed)^2

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28%28%28180knots%29%5E2%29*%280.001275+grams+per+cubic+centimeter%29%2F2%29+in+inches+Hg

Here's another one that uses the formula:  to determine what intake size
might be appropriate for the scoop:

Air intake needed = Engine displacement * RPM/Airspeed

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28360in^3+*+2700min^-1%29%2F180knots

Again, these are just first approximations, but I like WA as it makes these
sort of things easy.  I just find it great for doing these
back-of-the-envelope sort of calculations.

Geoff