REFLECTOR: A lot more on crankshaft seals and venting

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 29 19:05:17 CDT 2013

Yes, he cut the seal and I saw him do it.  All seals have a removable spring which he removed before cutting the seal and then reinstalled.  The correct procedure for installing the seal is to remove the spring, then stretch the seal over the prop hub and if you wait about 5 minutes it will relax into it's original diameter and then you replace the spring and glue it in place.  For further details contact Lycoming.

Larry Coen
N136LC