REFLECTOR: TAS calibration?

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 28 19:47:55 CDT 2013

Geoff,

If the airspeed indicator has been calibrated on the ground and is reading correctly the most likely source of the error is the static reference.  If the static port is being pressurized by forward motion it will cause the TAS to read low.  If you have a WASS enabled GPS it's altitude should be very close to your aneroid altitude.  If you find that the aneroid altitude is consistently lower than the GPS altitude then that would indicate that your static port is indeed pressurized.  Another test is to see if your altitude reading changes with speed.

Larry Coen
N136LC