REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 102, Issue 82

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Sep 23 18:51:38 CDT 2013

Good advice.  And then there are distractions.  In my 1000 hours flying
RG, I never forgot to lower my gear.....except once.  I was returning to
my airport at night. The runway lights and beacon were out, but the
notam wasn't yet issued, so I had no idea.  Using my standard procedure,
I set up on a 10 mile final using my gps.  The runway lights seemed
faint (that's because they were the taxiway lights) and that caused me
to focus on them.  Yeah, I was flying the plane just fine.  When I was
about 30' above the "runway", I noticed the white markings of the real
runway off to my left and realized I was over the taxiway.  I added
power, and climbed.  As I made the turn to go around, that's when I
realized my gear was up.  Glad I didn't decide to land on the taxiway!
Fortunately someone was at the airport and I had him position his truck
at the beginning of the runway with lights on, so I could get lined up
with the runway and I landed, no problem.

John