REFLECTOR: Shimmy Damper Settings

Bob Jackson (Jax Tech) bobj at JaxTechLLC.com
Thu Sep 19 12:53:45 CDT 2013

Hello Mark,

I'm not sure what you're referring to with Jorge Bujuanda's 'nose gear strut
bumper mod' - can you describe a little more, or find and reference the
post.

At least with our Bellevilles, there can be a little 'deadband' play in the
nosewheel turning, before the resistance of the Belleville's takes over - at
least as you're tightening down the nose strut nut and putting tension on
the Bellevilles.  If this is what you're referring to in your 'tight
bumper-bushing' comment below, then I agree 100% -- that little bit of loose
play and free turning movement (that can occur just before the Belleville's
are properly tensioned) can be a killer and instigator of shimmy.  And I
also agree that good balance is important, but I've had less luck achieving
it.

Thanks,

Bob

  _____