REFLECTOR: i pad / radio noise

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Sep 16 16:54:52 CDT 2013

You have the ElectroAire?

The coil packs have a very large dv/dt requirement.
I just pulled up the schematic, and it's not clear to me the current
path for the coils, and they talk about "ground for the coil pack", but
the schematic shows to connect the hot leads to a separate fused
circuit, and then each coil has a wire to the controller.  Each wire is
a leg on the return path.  What happens is battery+ -> coil ->
controller-switch-to-ground -> ground.   This path needs to be handled
properly.  By properly, it needs to be twisted wires, 14 to 16 gauge.

It looks like they lumped all of their grounds together (power and
signal paths).  I hate it when they do that.  It really puts a lot of
noise on the sensors.  You may not be able to separate out the coil
grounds and the EI "computer" ground.  I wonder if J1 pin 2 labelled
"remove" is in fact a ground pin that would allow access to the high
current path?  Call ElectroAire, and ask them how one might be able to
isolate this path?

The power to J2 is noisy.  The yellow J1 pin 6 power is low current to
run the EI, and will not be noisy.  Make a twisted pair with ground and
J2 power.  If this isn't possible, (and I cringe here) put a big
capacitor across J2 and ground, as close to the coil packs as possible.
This will level out the dv/dt spikes on the power wires.

On your power bus, where do you have the EI mounted?  You want your
noisy stuff as close to the battery as possible, and if you can make a
separate noisy power bus, even better.  Is it a big copper bar?  Feed
your bus from the battery in the middle, noisy stuff on one side, quiet
on the other.

I initially had problems with my Autronic using the supplied harness.  I
made my own harness, and now everything is very quiet.  Not a single
shielded wire in the mix.

Tell me about your alternator current path.

The power adapters are just cheaply made.  It could be emitting RF for
all we know.