REFLECTOR: i pad / radio noise

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Sep 16 13:30:54 CDT 2013

There may be something wrong with your nav antenna.  Do you have two nav
antennas?  Try swapping them out, or make a temporary one and see if
that works from inside the fuselage.

The filter you are suggesting is to smooth out power surges/spikes, and
is a different animal than RF, capacitive or inductive interference.
Try to borrow an oscilloscope.  They are very illuminating.  Put it on
your mains bus, and turn loads on and off to see which is possibly
making power surges.  You might be surprised at how some small relays
throw spikes into your power lines.

When you find a noisy load, troubleshoot that one only until it's nice
and quiet.  Then repeat again.  It will usually reveal a bad crimp,
ground loops or other things that will eventually bite you anyway.