REFLECTOR: Hydraulic system pressure

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 15:56:33 CDT 2013

On 9/5/2013 4:25 PM, John Dibble wrote:
> On 9/5/2013 3:08 PM, Scott Baker wrote:
>> Hello John,
>> The recommended gear DOWN hydraulic pressure of 550psi is already
>> significantly lower than the recommended gear UP pressure (something
>> in the neighborhood of 1150psi).
>> While true, the main landing gear does not benefit from hydraulic
>> pressure when in the gear DOWN and LOCKED position - the nose gear
>> linkage is aided by hydraulic pressure to keep it in the over-center
>> (Down/Locked) position.
>> Somewhere in the Reflector archives is a video focusing on the nose
>> gear mono shock at the moment of landing.  When the nose wheel
>> touches the runway, the top of the nose strut wants to move rearward
>> - and in fact, it does move a small distance, which is counteracted
>> by the mono-shock.  Without the benefit of hydraulic pressure to help
>> keep the nose gear linkage in the over-center position, the nose gear
>> could easily collapse at the nose wheel touches down.
> I respectfully disagree.  With the linkage in over center position,
> rearward strut motion will try to push the linkage even more over
> center, but the cylinder won't allow that because it's extended as far
> as it can go.
>
> John

Theory and reality sometimes do not match.
When considering "What gear-down hydraulic pressure is the best?" ...
Since the hydraulic system is already in place - and since the factory
recommended 550psi is a really low pressure for hydraulic systems that
does not cause undue stress on hydraulic seals (and is proven to work) -
why not err on the side of what works?
Fixing an abraded nose section following a nose gear collapse is a major
inconvenience.  Why invite trouble?
Best,
Scott B.