REFLECTOR: Hydraulic system pressure

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 15:08:19 CDT 2013

Hello John,
The recommended gear DOWN hydraulic pressure of 550psi is already
significantly lower than the recommended gear UP pressure (something in
the neighborhood of 1150psi).
While true, the main landing gear does not benefit from hydraulic
pressure when in the gear DOWN and LOCKED position - the nose gear
linkage is aided by hydraulic pressure to keep it in the over-center
(Down/Locked) position.
Somewhere in the Reflector archives is a video focusing on the nose gear
mono shock at the moment of landing.  When the nose wheel touches the
runway, the top of the nose strut wants to move rearward - and in fact,
it does move a small distance, which is counteracted by the mono-shock.
Without the benefit of hydraulic pressure to help keep the nose gear
linkage in the over-center position, the nose gear could easily collapse
at the nose wheel touches down.
So how much gear down hydraulic pressure is "enough" to keep the nose
gear linkage in its overcenter position?  Dono.  Again the factory
recommends 550psi - which is not a lot of pressure for a hydraulic ram
to handle.
My thoughts.
Scott B.