REFLECTOR: Paint

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 5 14:24:06 CDT 2013

Dick,

I used AWLGRIP 545 Epoxy primer and AwlCraft 2000 Matterhorn white acrylic Urethane. My 2005 XLRG kit from Velocity, already had the AWLGRIP 545 Epoxy primer applied.

I ordered all of my paint from the following web site.
http://www.bottompaintstore.com/awlcraft-2000-matterhorn-white-f8024-gl-p-9784.html

This AWLGRIP paint is designed for fiberglass boat applications, so it defiantly will work on our fiberglass aircraft. It was easy to use, easy to sand if you made a mistake or wanted to sand between coats. It also allows for easy repairs of runs, bugs, or trash in your paint. Block sand with 1500 and then 2000 wet dry sand paper and lots of water, then buff to a perfect high gloss with a wool buffing pad and finish cut rubbing compound. The beauty of Urethane is that the Urethane shine is all the way through the paint. Don't be fooled by automotive straight Urethane paints. Acrylic Urethane is a lot harder and is used on commercial aircraft that fly at speeds greater than 300 knots. This paint is a lifetime finish for a Velocity Aircraft. We spent years building our dreams, why wouldn't you want it to look its very best.

My thoughts,

Andy Ellzey
N151AJ, XLRG, 12 hours into Phase one testing.