REFLECTOR: Paint

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 5 06:59:13 CDT 2013

I painted my plane in 1998 with PPG Concept.  I now have 1100+ hours on it
- and it still looks absolutely great.  I get complements all the time.
- It's readily available, at supply stores all over the country, and it's
relatively cheap
- It's something that many body shops & many paint guys have used and are
familiar with
- It's easy to touch up... I've touched up numerous areas through the
years, and I defy you to spot them
- It has held up exceptionally well

One other comment - I chose to use the base (white) paint with no tint, and
to buff the paint to get the shine.  The advantage being, I never have to
worry about matching a tint color.

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering

      To: <reflector at tvbf.org>

 Subject: REFLECTOR: Paint

I am getting ready to paint my plane. I would like to get some feedback as
to what type of paint to use. The body shop I am working with says he is
willing to use whatever I would like. I have looked at Stewart Systems at
Air Venture and like what they had to say. My body man thinks I should just
use a regular automotive paint. He has used it many times on Corvettes and
doesn’t see a difference. Then the question came up on clear coating. It’s
more money, but he thinks it worth it. Is there a difference between
automotive paints and aviation paints? What have you guys used? I would
love some input.
Thanks,
Dick Harpster N585V