REFLECTOR: MT leading edge tape damage

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 3 11:11:22 CDT 2013

To add to what I sent to the reflector...  there are (at least) two key
issues.  First... any damage to the stainless part of the leading edge must
be taken seriously *if it has caused delamination or loosening of the
stainless*... I had a major ouch to mine flying into the Oshkosh airshow
several years ago when a cowl screw departed the airframe... I went and
dragged the MT guy out of his booth to inspect it before flying home.
What he told me was that I needed to pay strict attention to the SS/leading
edge bonding - but that if the SSLE was secure, there shouldn't be a
problem.

The second issue is anything that would allow moisture ingress.  That is
strictly not allowed.

My suggestion would be to remove the tape... inspect and repair any damage
to the leading edge... and then replace the tape.

I'll try to make it out to the hangar tomorrow to check on the 3M PN of the
tape for you.  It's very high quality stuff.

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering