REFLECTOR: Commercial night flight

Patrick Sieders pjsieders at comcast.net
Wed Oct 9 17:20:14 CDT 2013

Andrew,

The requirements are:
Be at least 18 years of age
Hold a private pilot certificate
Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language
Accumulate and log a specified amount of training and experience; the
following are part of the airplane single-engine land class rating
requirements: If training under Part 61, at least 250 hours of piloting time
including 20 hours of training with an instructor and 10 hours of solo
flight, and other requirements including several "cross-country" flights,
i.e. more than 50 nautical miles (93 km) from the departure airport (which
include Day VFR and Night VFR 100 nmi (190 km) between points, with a time
of at least 2hrs; also one cross country which is done solo 250 nmi (460 km)
one way, 300 nmi (560 km) total distance with landings at 3 airports) and
both solo and instructor-accompanied night flights
If training under Part 141, at least 190 hours of training time including 55
hours with an instructor and 10 hours of solo flight, and other requirements
including several cross-country, solo, and night flights

Pass a 100-question aeronautical knowledge test
Pass an oral test and flight test administered by an FAA inspector,
FAA-designated examiner, or authorized check instructor

I do not remember having to do a two hour dual nightflight, but it's been a
while and things might have changed..

If you do in your plane, I do not see why you couldn't do it in your own
aircraft, as long as the instructor is fine with it. That might be the
biggest hurdle.

For what it's worth !
Enjoy !

Patrick