REFLECTOR: TAS calibration?

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 09:12:59 CDT 2013

Last night, I put a 1/4" strip of aluminum tape ~1mm ahead of the static
ports on my pitot-static tube and took it out for a spin.  Before taking
off, I adjusted the barometric pressure on my altimeters (analog and Dynon
Skyview) so the indicated altitude exactly matched the GPS (field) altitude.

On takeoff, as I lifted of and accelerated, I could already see my
indicated altitude dip as my speed increased.  I climbed to 7000', leveled
off and established a cruise speed of 160kts.  My GPS altitude was
reading 6990ft
and my Dynon altimeter was reading 6620ft (at cruise speed).  I did two
passes with headings 180deg apart.  My GPS ground speeds in the two passes
were 168kts/182kts while holding a steady 158ktas airspeed.  Essentially no
change from readings I got with no aluminum tape ahead of the static port.

So, it doesn't seem like the one thin bit of aluminum tape was enough.
 I'll put a couple more layers on and see if it moves the needle in the
right direction.

Geoff