REFLECTOR: N5165U Flies Again!

Jeff Barnes jcbarnes411 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 21 10:01:17 CST 2013

Congratulations Linda and Jerry!

________________________________
 From: "jerry at jlbent.com" <jerry at jlbent.com>
To: Velocity Aicraft Owners and Builder list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Cc: Andy Millin <amillin at sbcglobal.net>; "Linda Brainard @ work" <LBrainard at DRS.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:53 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: N5165U Flies Again!

As some of you know, Linda and I bought Hugh Dunn's 1996 Velocity last fall.  N5165U is a short wing, top loader, RG, LIO360, cruise prop and very low time (80 hrs TTAF).  Hugh built it and flew it for two years and then it didn't fly for 14 years.

Last Saturday, we were able to get all the stars to align (just barely).  John Abarham flew in (commercial), the weather got just good enough, insurance was in place and John was able to take N5165U back into the air about 4:00 P.M.  Hugh was there and he was so proud and happy to see his creation fly again.  John tested for a while and then made a beautiful landing.  We talked a bit and then Brett reminded me that the sun would be setting in about 45 minutes, so John and I launched for I68.  Short flight, and I must say, I love the way 65U handles.  Of course after flying the Ferrell's N44VF, I have to admit that with the cruise prop, 65U doesn't leap off the ground like 44VF.   I made two landings and one was great and one was OK.  With the short wing, 65U is very responsive at landing speeds.  It requires less rudder and has more aileron a! uthority. NICE!

A huge thanks to Linda my lovely bride and build buddy.  Linda took copious field notes as we worked on all of the pieces so we could put them back together correctly.  She kept to-do lists.  She pushed to get things done when I was burned out.  She crawled upside down under the panel to work on things.  She even encouraged the purchase, knowing that it would take work and dollars to get 65U back into the air.

A special thanks to Ray Parker, Hugh Dunn, Brett and Elizabeth Ferrell, Reiff and Melissa Lorenz, Tim and Larabeth Rodenbaugh, Bill and Terry Stockman, Andy and Teresa Millin who all helped and support us.

And thanks to all of the Velocity community especially those on the reflector.  I know everyone says it, but it is true, this community keep many of us going

So we finally have our new baby home to our hangar.  It will be a FRG (fixed, retractable gear) until insurance gets more reasonable for the RG.  Work will continue on N202VB and we will have something to fly at the same time.  Seems like the best of both worlds.

.

Jerry Brainard
Jerry at JLBEnt.com

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery