REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil temp and flow data

Nate Jackson nate_jackson_pdx at msn.com
Sun Nov 10 21:53:27 CST 2013

Actually... No.
I flew for several years without significant oil temp problems.
When they started, I had a similar story to the Maule owner.
I did lots of research on the original Franklin Velocity flyer and R&R'd the spring and washer assembly many times.
It is hard to get concrete info on the correct install of the bypass spring and all.
As you may recall... I bought a couple from you as "backup".
I recently did a major exhaust pipe design overhaul...
reversing the factory Franklin pipes and having the exhaust go directly through the prop.
There is a little oil on the prop after each flight... but the temps are better.
My tail cowl is now way exposed so that air can easily flow out the aft. (not that pretty .. but whatever...)
Although she performs much better... it's not the way it was in the "early" years.
And still... there is this time lag each flight before it appears that oil flows.
I don't have instruments telling me this directly... just observation.
The whole bypass oil plate system seems a conundrum...
Nate