REFLECTOR: trim motor control

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Wed Nov 6 12:21:52 CST 2013

I'm in the process of wiring the trim motors and I've been wondering about
something for a while:

The trim motors are 24v motors. It is my understanding that the choice of a
24v motor on a 12v electrical system was done to have the motor run at a
slower speed than an appropriately rated motor would. And that this allows
better trim control.  I don't know if this is accurate, it's just something
that I heard.

My issue is that I have a 24v electrical system. I've looked for 48v
versions of the trim motors but they were either unavailable or way too
expensive.

So I'm looking at a 28v-14v step-down converter.

But before I pull the trigger on that purchase, I was wondering if:

1) My understanding of the 24v motor on a 12v electrical system was correct.
2) If anyone has come up with an alternative to slowing down the motor
speed which would save me from installing a step-down converter.

Thanks,
Don