REFLECTOR: automotive spark plug harness

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed May 29 16:33:04 CDT 2013

One nice feature of aviation plug harnesses is that they are shielded
and provide the current return path.  You may get a lot of noise doing
it that way, but I have seen a kit that lets you use an automotive plug
that integrates a plug boot into a shielded high tension lead.

On an automobile ... well, now I'm talking about previous generation.
New autos now use coil-on-plug.  Step back to the previous design which
is coil packs.  Almost all of those are "wasted spark", and you can tell
if there are two poles per pack. With a wasted spark system, the
electrons go down one spark plug wire, made a spark at the plug, then go
through the engine block to the other plug, made a spark there, then
travel back up the wire to the coil.

On a magneto, the spark current never goes into the engine block. If you
do it using your method, make sure there is a reliable current return
path from the base of the spark plug back to the magneto case.