REFLECTOR: Garmin 250XL Autopilot Interface

Dennis King kitfox94 at comcast.net
Tue May 14 14:02:31 CDT 2013

Does anybody have experience interfacing a Garmin 250 XL GPS/Com with an autopilot? I have one of the RS232 ports (channel 2) on the GPS connected to a Trio Pro Pilot. The autopilot receives the GPS info when the Garmin unit is in test mode, but not in normal operating mode, even in flight with or without an active course. I have no problem interfacing a portable GPS to the autopilot. It sure seems like I must have a setting wrong in the Garmin unit, but I've been through all the setup menus and tried all the logical settings. Since it works in test mode and with the engine running, it doesn't seem to be a wiring or interference problem (I used shielded cables). Just hoping someone else has interfaced the 250 XL with any brand autopilot and discovered a "trick".

Dennis King