REFLECTOR: Performance

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Thu May 9 15:16:02 CDT 2013

Grover,

I think the thrust you'd get from the exhaust would be minimal.  Think
about this - if you had the exhaust pointed back and took the prop off.
 Even with the engine at full power it would not likely push the plane on
the ground a even a little.  I think it is the disruption of laminar flow
around the cowling that is thought to create drag.  Intuitively, if I had a
smooth airfoil, but then had a bunch of jets inducing air low normal to its
surface, I would think that would be bad for its aerodynamic efficiency.

Also that the exhaust is throwing turbulent flow into the prop is thought
to be a problem.  The prop may not be able to perform with the same
efficiency it would if a smooth air flow was feeding it.

Geoff