REFLECTOR: Second First Flight Today

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Wed Mar 27 07:42:04 CDT 2013

Brian,

I just saw your recent "first" flight announcement. It's been a long journey to get to this point. It has had some difficult moments. Building an airplane . . . doing a custom engine installation . . . rebuilding it all after the engine quit . . . these are not challenges that most people would rise to. I admire your tenacity and determination.

Keep the flight reports coming. Would love to see some photos, too!

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 42% complete
Currently working on: Too much non-airplane stuff!

The Velocity Builders' Virtual Hangar is available 24/7 at:
https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=86a48563bb517ade0abf1a7ee1f38e65

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Brian Michalk
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 12:01 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Second First Flight Today

Four years ago, I had my first flight on March 28th, which ended up in a cornfield due to an engine out.

Today, I had my second first flight.  I've been battling a list of squawks, and finally got most of them ironed out.  I made two flights today, with the first one cut short because of high CHT's. I landed and discovered a disconnected colling duct to the plenum. I fixed that, and went for a second flight.  I cut that one short because I thought the smell of smoke was getting stronger.  I think there's some RTV and other materials that are just outgassing, and will make odors until they are good and baked.  After that flight, I was just too tired to go up again, and called it a day.

I still have some issues to address, but the important thing is that now I can actually begin working the flight tests.  I think I'll change my sig to test pilot now.