REFLECTOR: Second First Flight Today

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Mar 26 11:55:08 CDT 2013

I'm fixed gear.

No, the gear did not hold up.  First, the field was pretty soft from
rains a few days previous, and second, I came down in a slight right
turn.  When I impacted, the plane rolled left and snapped off the left
gear right at the fuselage.  The right gear was snapped off about 12
inches past the fuselage.

Amazingly, there wasn't any delamination in the gear bulkheads. The gear
bolts certainly got bent, and were difficult to remove.