REFLECTOR: Second First Flight Today

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Mar 25 11:16:03 CDT 2013

Unfortunately there was no smoking gun after the first incident.  Like
carb icing, there wasn't any evidence pointing to a main cause of the
engine failure.  I did make some modifications, like adding a small 1
gallon reservoir to serve as a vapor-fuel separator before the fuel is
returned to the sump.  I also modified my venting system to keep it from
getting filled with fuel at high angle of attack.

That said, I determined that I had configured the EFI system to be too
rich.  I tuned the engine to run rich, and extrapolated those values to
the end of the fuel table, and had never tested the engine at those
power levels until the first flight.

Words of wisdom:
Make sure you've addressed failure modes as best as possible.  I have
two battery systems that can power the EFI system.  Then, if all that
fails, what then?  I also installed a backup constant fuel injection
system.  It's very simple.  45PSI fuel is taken off the regulated fuel
rail, and runs up the keel to a needle valve accesible to the pilot.
 From there it goes back to the engine to spray nozzles mounted in the
intake manifold.  If the electrics go out, I just turn off all of the
batteries and continue flying on one magneto and the constant flow
injection.  There's no metering to adjust to airflow, so it's best if
set and left alone. Changing the manifold pressure throws the mixture off.

If you go off into the weeds on installing a non-aviation EFI system, it
really adds a *LOT* of build time.  All of the components are fairly
simple.  It's getting everything to work properly that's the hard part.