REFLECTOR: GPS IFR Approaches: Radio Required

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Fri Mar 22 13:26:08 CDT 2013

I'll just point that the GRT has a [1]RAIM offering... they still
recommend you have an approved GPS, but it is an option.

--
Brett Ferrell
reflector at velocityxl.com

--

Brett Ferrell

bferrell at fastmail.fm

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013, at 09:55 AM, Lawrence Epstein wrote:

The big difference between enroute and approach certified GPS is the
presence of RAIM. That is the verification of signal/accuracy which
monitors and alerts you on approach if GPS falls off.

Most of the MFD's/PFD's we are using in Experimental Aircraft
(GRT/Dynon/etc.) will synthesize a visual representation of the
approach, which is great for situational awareness and a real step up
in safety (IMHO) for IFR approaches, the problem is, Garbage in/Garbage
out. If the GPS accuracy/reception is degraded, you might not know in
time.

As Scott says "I think it's reckless to shoot an IFR approach under IMC
conditions without an IFR approved 'box'."

Larry

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Mark Magee <[2]edjonesbrady at gmail.com>