REFLECTOR: GPS IFR Approaches: Radio Required

Lawrence Epstein ljepstein at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 22 07:32:08 CDT 2013

The caveat to this (and my comment) is it depends on where you do most of
your flying.
I live/fly in the the NY Metro area. The entire Northeast is "Airway
country". You will almost never get a direct to waypoint clearance around
here. It is all airways. The 430/530 is impossible to use solo IFR here. I
have heard that in heaven (ie;  not the NE), "Direct" clearances are the
norm. In that case, 430w/530w should be fine.

The 480 has come down in price quite a bit (since the touch screen units
were released). (there is 1 on e-bay today $5999 with 10 offers) Garmin is
still supporting them and will likely do so for some time (there are
thousands flying in government aircraft). They regularly release software
updates (ADS-B position support coming soon).