REFLECTOR: GPS IFR Approaches: Radio Required

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 07:22:16 CDT 2013

I agree with Larry that the CNX80/GNS480 is a great IFR WAAS unit and it
would be my choice too, if I were looking to buy a used unit.
That being said the GNS430(W) and GNS530(W) are also very good units -
and thousands of pilots are routinely flying IFR with these radios.
I would NOT invest in the much outdated and difficult to operate KLN90.
You will not be happy.  The map features of the 430/530/480 type radios
greatly helps the pilot maintain situational awareness - which as you
know is a big item when operating IFR.
Whatever the radio that you choose to invest, I strongly recommend you
supplement it with an iPad with one of the better moving maps software
programs.  I happen to like Foreflight.  Geo-referenced positioning is
now available on depicted approach plates.  Very cool and very
reassuring to know that you are where you think you are!

I think it's reckless to shoot an IFR approach under IMC conditions
without an IFR approved 'box'.  The NTSB files are full of stories.

My thoughts.
Scott B.