REFLECTOR: GPS IFR Approaches: Radio Required

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Fri Mar 22 06:22:28 CDT 2013

I would respectfully disagree.

I've been flying behind a 430 for 10 years (w for the last 7 years).
Probably about 1000 hours total with 90% of that IFR and almost all of that
time cross-country.

It takes me less than 60 seconds to enter a flight plan. The worst possible
situation would be an unexpected routing using airways. But I've only run
into that maybe three times in 10 years. And when it did, I simply asked
for the routing by waypoint. Lately, I've been filing direct (and getting
every time) if the destination is well known. Otherwise, I add a VOR near
the destination.

Now I'm in the midwest (inside ORD class B) so things can be different
elsewhere. For example, anything from DC north is a whole different
ballgame.

The MX-20 (480) is a nice box. No doubt about it. That was my first choice
but I settled for the 430 because of price.

My point is that I wouldn't disregard the 430/530.  It's got a huge
installed base and will be supported for a long time. I was going to put a
430 in my panel (if I ever get to that point) until I decided on a remote
GPS.

Just my .02

-Don