REFLECTOR: GPS IFR Approaches: Radio Required

Lawrence Epstein ljepstein at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 22 05:29:27 CDT 2013

If you want to fly IFR regularly, I would not get the 430/530w series. That
is really a VFR box that can do IFR. Biggest problem with that is when you
want to fly airways. With that series, (I believe same with the King), you
must manually enter every waypoint on the Airway. Bad enough when you are
on the ground copying a clearance. Impossible when picking up a clearance
in the air.

I have been flying behind a Garmin GNS 480 (UPS CNX80) for ~10 years. Great
IFR box. You can pick one up on Ebay for about $5k now.

Larry