REFLECTOR: GPS IFR Approaches: Radio Required

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 21:20:34 CDT 2013

Any radiomen out there could please help me determine if I could do most of
what I want with an MFD with Syn Vision, HITS, approaches installed in the
software: I understand the Garmin 430W will get you down legally at any
terminal with a published GPS Precision Approach. Those units are still
holding their value quite well, but what of this King:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BendixKing-KLN90B-IFR-Approach-Approved-GPS-System-/330889767931

Without the Precision Approach cert, what would be my limitation?
Practically, functionally?
My IFR ticket is long out of date and I will have to get back up to snuff
on flying them. I'm asking about shooting approaches is this current 'Grey
Area' where folks are functionally doing a lot of IFR approaches -without-
IFR Approach certified radios driving their installed MFD's.

Opinions please. I do understand the regs, just probing for reality.

Thanks

Mark B. Magee
N34XL XLFG