REFLECTOR: XLFG Intake Air

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 06:26:31 CDT 2013

Mark,

I am running unfiltered air from the top cooling NACA to my intake and it
is working fine for me.  But, I've heard others talk about improved
manifold pressure from a ram air intake.  I wonder if at high altitude
cruise it might be beneficial.  I would think a ram air intake (a scoop
that hangs out into the wind) would be better than a NACA intake for
producing better intake pressures, tho.

I need to make some changes to my cowl and repaint this summer, so I was
going to experiment with a ram air scoop now that I have lots of data on
the NACA cooling intake.  The other change I planned to make was a
rear-exiting exhaust (mine blows straight down).  I understand that can
make the biggest difference (not sure I believe the 10kts I've heard, but
I'd take 5kts).

Geoff