REFLECTOR: XLFG Intake Air

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 22:12:40 CDT 2013

All,
My XLFG was built with a NACA scoop where the bottom engine cowl marries to
the fuselage for ram intake air. As I am nearing painting, and did not
build this into the bird, the PO did, I'm considering eliminating the
filtered lower NACA ram-air configuration for scat tubing to a cooling air
NACA scoop topside for simplicity. As well the NACA down low where it is
does catch considerable FOD from the nosewheel, yet is filtered.
I know some folks are running straight unfiltered from a scat tubing
routing from an upper engine cooling NACA with no alternate air. Any
feedback from the group on how well this is working? If I were to make this
change I fear I might lose a slight loss of manifold pressure, but for the
simplicity would be better off overall. The sealing on the airbox to the
lower cowl is problematic.
Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Mark Magee N34XL XLFG

[image: Inline image 1]