REFLECTOR: Avionics bus switch

Brooke Wolf bwolf1 at tds.net
Tue Mar 19 10:48:08 CDT 2013

Don

I think you are going to find people all over the map on this.  I can tell you what my own experience is.

My panel does have a master avionics switch.  It switches all the avionics except for my 2 GRT screens.  They come on with the battery.  The #1 screen is also backed up by a power stabilizer.  The normal start sequence for me is to turn the battery switch on, wait for GRT to power up, select engine display, and start the engine.  #1 screen always stays on line during start due to power stabilizer.  #2 screen almost always goes off line due to voltage sag during start, and I have to reset the CB to get it powered up again.  (I tried the "soft startup" but it seldom works).

Currently, the only thing I wish I had done differently would be to put the #2 screen on the master avionics switch.  That way I could avoid the hassle of resetting it after start.  Otherwise, everything works good.

Brooke