REFLECTOR: fixed gear nose wheel

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 09:16:29 CDT 2013

I have an RG and have never experienced a shimmy (~80hrs).  I noticed that
I was having a difficult time steering when taxiing and found that my nose
gear pivot had tightened up (due to the cold winter temps, maybe?).
 Anyway, I loosened it to the 10lbs needed to move the wheel (used a fish
scale).  Taxiing is still a bit tough, but not too bad.

I assume that the shimmy is mostly an FG issue, as an RG front wheel always
comes down aligned with the runway.

On my last flight, tho, I heard a air whooshing noise from the front of the
plane all of a sudden.  On landing, I found that one of the struts that
keeps the front nose gear had come loose (the little threaded ball that it
snaps into had come unscrewed from the shaft that connects to the
cylinder).  Just waiting for a replacement so I can fly again.

Geoff