REFLECTOR: Continental Engine Designation Codes

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Fri Mar 15 12:48:05 CDT 2013

The value which follows the model (N in your example) is the "Specification
Number". That can be followed by the "Shipping Designation".

These values must be guarded closer than the new pope's hat size. They're
not listed in any of the Continental books I've got and I haven't had much
luck finding information.

I did have a printout of some of these values though.

I do know that some of these are based on the application. For example,
Cirrus may want a 550N with certain features, performance or
characteristics. So they have Continental build up a version of the engine
to these spec's and Continental assigns a Specification Number and maybe a
Shipping Designation.

I ran across an engine once (something like an IO-550N-B6) and when I
called Continental, all they could (or would) tell me is that it's for a
Beech and that I would have to contact them.

Frustrating.

I'll look for the paper and if I find it, I'll post the info on it.

Don