REFLECTOR: New Shimmy Damper Success?

Dennis King kitfox94 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 15 12:35:16 CDT 2013

I know the issue of nose wheel shimmy has been done to death in the past, but the factory has offered a new shimmy damper for awhile and I haven't seen any user reports on it. I know some people have had trouble with shimmy, even though they were trying to be careful about adjusting the friction nut. I don't think I've experienced shimmy yet, but I am still early in my test period. I'm interested in hearing about anybody's experience with the new damper design, especially people who had a lot of trouble with the old design. Switching from a dry friction design (coulomb damping) to viscous damping makes a lot of sense to me.

Dennis King
173RG Elite N173DK