REFLECTOR: Continental Engine Designation Codes

Mark Morse mt.morse at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 11:39:43 CDT 2013

Hi -
Does anyone have the information to decode Continental engine designations?  Information on the final suffix eludes me..

For example, the IO-550N-G. I know that is the Nth revision of the injected, opposed 550 cu-in engine.  But what does the G signify?  It has something to do with the accessory case, but I need the specifics.  The Wiki site for the 550 lists all the revisions, but no accessory case codes.

Thanks
:)
Mark Morse