REFLECTOR: Electrical system

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Sun Jun 30 10:36:59 CDT 2013

Hi Reiff,

The power and ground bus bars I'm talking about is behind the canard
bulkhead in the area behind the panel - not forward of the bulkhead and
exposed.

In general, for exposed connections, the worry wouldn't be failure due to
shorting from the water, it'd be corrosion.  In general, galvanic corrosion
should be considered, but can be easily controlled with HW store
electrician's grease.  The relays and connections that I do have on the
forward (exposed) side of my bulkhead all have a dab of that stuff (main
contactor, hydraulic pump relays, battery connections, etc.).

I've never seen galvanic corrosion on my homemade brass bus bars & the
bimetal ring connectors I've used.

I've seen the other comments re. use of two alternators, etc. I agree with
the guidance from Richard Gentil - if you've got an electrical problem
you're going to want to land and fix it anyway.  Keeping your system as
simple as possible and building your simple system with reliability in mind
makes much more sense to me than trying to add all kinds of redundancy...
which just gives Murphy more opportunities to ruin your day.  I'd think
really hard before installing a system with two alternators, two batteries,
all kinds of switching relays, lots of extra wiring... failure points...
and things to go wrong.

My two cents.

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering

Dave,

Terrific advice! Thanks for all the help.

Did you cover the power buss with anything? Is there any concern of having
a "naked" power buss in the nose? I have an RG, so I'm imagining the entire
inside of the nose will get wet if I take off or land in the rain.

I really appreciate all the info!

Reiff