REFLECTOR: Electrical system - basic components

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sat Jun 29 22:06:30 CDT 2013

Reiff,

Sounds like an interesting setup! I have heard of the VP system, but had already self-started when the units came out. I built my panel on the bench rack, and the VP system would not have allowed me the joy of wiring everything by hand while my little boy watched on.
(Only to have him decide to help when I went in to use the restroom, and start cutting through my panel with a set of wire cutters... HELPING ya know!!) Got him for years with this story :)

I did do the thin-walled copper pipe conduit. then ran the starter wire through the center.

I thought about the second alternator for a Long time. Then I started writing down a load table to see what I was dealing with. Since I have 2-sets of critical engine monitoring methods, I am fairly sure I can spot a problem pretty quick in the electron area. Those load tables also allowed me to realize that IF I lost an alternator, even in IMC, Some simple load shedding could allow me over an hour in the air. Not that I would want to do that, but our here I'm pretty sure I can get down in a lot less time than that. Having one less heavy/complicated thing on the back of the ship made things a LOT easier.

Keep me in the Loop, Sounds interesting.

Meanwhile, back to the hangar.

Kurt