REFLECTOR: Position Light Wires

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu Jun 27 14:11:16 CDT 2013

Only shield wires that:
1)    radiate a lot of noise (capacitively  -- i.e., have a large dv/dt)
2)    are sensitive to noise

Position lights are very quiet, and you don't care if they collect noise
from other sources.

Strobes are noisy, so twisting and shielding the power/ground leads
works there.  If your strobe power pack charge pump is RF noisy (bad
capacitors) then, yes, shielding is needed, but IMO, that's treating the
symptom.

On my airplane, it's very quiet electrically.  The big offenders:
electronic injectors, coil packs, alternator are all twisted
power/ground pairs.

I do not shield ANY of my avionics (not even microphones).  They are
quite happy with the arrangement.  Proper grounding is the key to a
noise free airplane.