REFLECTOR: Need for Cabin Heat at Altitude

Ruben Creus ruben at vainneg.com
Tue Jun 25 12:33:15 CDT 2013

We just did a similar thing than what is in the email below. We install an
squirrel cage fan, and a flap on the oil scoop. Different tests show that
for this magic trick to happen, there one very important requirement. And
that is, "a perfect seal" around the flap. First, you need to build up air
pressure in front of the oil cooler to force the air into the radiator.
Second, a bilge fan cannot work under pressure, but a squirrel fan does. A
squirrel fan is designed to work under air pressure losing just few CFM. A
bilge fan will lose most of its CFM under pressure.

I did a test in winter and summer, and finally installed it last week in
with the help of the Sebastian folks. Scott did a super detail job there!
We achieved a perfect seal, and we are using a squirrel cage fan with
105CFM. The results were impressive. It blows a good amount of air, maybe
1/3 of what you would get with the flap open in flight, but it looks to be
good enough to blow a good amount of air. But again, to build pressure in
front of the radiator you need a perfect seal. Otherwise, air will escape,
no pressure will built and all the effort will be a waste. Remember,  this
can only work with a squirrel cage fan. A regular bilge fan cannot work
under pressure.

We hade in fact this Sunday a real test scenario, waiting on an airport for
the clearance and the clear to take off, the oil temp started to go up, and
there we go!!, we closed the flap and turn the fan on and the oil temp
started to go down. So we had in group oil cooling!!! Now the question
remains, will in the winter generate enough recirculation heat to heat the
cabin in on the ground and in flight?   Our unorthodox tests of last winter
say yes, but it is not until now we permanently mounted the solution, so
when the cold weather comes back in few months I will report to the group
the results, but it looks very promising.

Ruben

  _____