REFLECTOR: High Oil Temps

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 24 13:08:10 CDT 2013

If you vent into the low pressure side it's OK...

Steve

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:57:51 -0500
From: michalk at awpi.com
To: bjb3013 at yahoo.com; reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: High Oil Temps

    What would happen if you just vented
      into the engine compartment?

      On 6/24/2013 9:52 AM, Brent Bourgeois wrote:

      I did lots of
        measuring in flight and found inlet area is not nearly as
        important as exit area. Most have way to much inlet and the
        largest portion of the air never makes it through the cooler. I
        was never successful cramming more air in the cooler and
        achieved  real good results sucking it out. ( that's for
        cylinder cooling also) A ramp or lip in front of the exit can be
        used to actually make the air behind the cooler much lower
        pressure than in front. My coolers are good for about 15 degrees
        each. The best thing I did was to move the oil lines each to
        their own duct and add a 1 inch hole inlet and a 1.5 x3 reverse
        ramp on the duct exit 6 inches before the firewall. There is
        more cooling available in those 2 long aluminum lines than most
        coolers.

        Cool the oil and the CHT problem will take care of it
            self.
        Call if I
          can help
        985-785