REFLECTOR: ipad

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Tue Jun 18 08:02:03 CDT 2013

Notice that your iPad calls it "Location Services" and not "GPS".  So,
sometimes that includes your GPS *if* you have one.  If not, then it
just includes the wi-fi and cellular methods of determining your
position.  This morning when I look at Google Maps many of those blank
spots of traffic are filled in.  Why?  Because there are more people
traveling today on those routes with their cellphones turned on
anonymously reporting back to Google where they are and how fast they're
going.  No cameras needed.

If you turn on location services and try to use Google Maps it will
probably figure out generally where you are *as long as* it has enough
data about your wi-fi connection and/or IP address. Your iPad will
report back information about your hotspot and any other wi-fi signals
it picks up.  Based upon information that is stored in Google's
databases it will try to figure out where you are.  Now go drive around
out in the country away from any wi-fi hotspots (or fly around in the
air a mile above the ground) and see if it can determine where you
are...won't work.

See?  No cameras needed.

Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD FG