REFLECTOR: ipad

Rene Dugas renedugas at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 20:31:08 CDT 2013

Our charter service uses FltPlan for every flight but ForeFlight in the cockpit. We have the charts but are writing up the application for FF alone with redundancy. We tried Garmin and I agree ok but FF is just easy and powerful. Route advisor will insert departures and arrivals into a direct plight plan on the fly.  Huge help flying to different airport four days a week.
Try it with a friend who knows it.  Awesome.
I download NEXRAD weather with cell data if WiFi is not available the press home and top off button to capture the weather screen before departure but do not have active weather in cockpit. A picture to refer to that shows precipitation and cloud cover with ceiling helps me a lot. I know where to go for VFR.  I have the recent ceiling for all the airports in the area and the storms.  TFRs if I want on a preflight pic.  I have flown under 3000 ft and downloaded an update when flying under an overcast when you don't know what break is 10 miles ahead.  Playing I downloaded approach plates in flight at 2000 ft at 140 kts. (I was VFR).
I don't carry charts since I have iPad and iPhone both with FF.  Use iPad every flight with Garmin 430W.
My 2 cents.

Sent from Rene's iPad. A pleasure.  Go Apple.