REFLECTOR: ipad

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Mon Jun 17 14:00:47 CDT 2013

Couple of additional/minor data points:

The GPS's in iPhones, iPads, Androids, etc. are A-GPS's (assisted).  For
faster initial location determination, cellular signal is used to "assist"
the GPS.  If cellular service is unavailable during this process,
initial location
determination can take up to 15 minutes.

In a composite aircraft, the signal should be good enough that position
accuracy won't be impacted. A metal aircraft will have more issues.

A wireless iPad is $130 more than the equivalent WiFi iPad. A GNS5870 or
BadElf is typically less than $100. But at the hassle of carrying another
box around. I use my iPad more out of the plane than in so an external GPS
was the logical choice for me.

Finally, if you're going to get an ADS-B receiver, it's going to have a GPS
built in anyway.