REFLECTOR: ipad

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 17 09:03:19 CDT 2013

Slight twist on this topic -

I'm a very happy Foreflight user... I use it on my ipad 1 and ipad 3
versions... using only the internal GPS.  I've never had an external GPS,
and it seems to work fine (and yes, I do use it IFR).  Am I the only person
able to reliably use the internal GPS?

It unlocks once in a great, great while... basically near enough to never
that it's not an issue.  And, since I don't use it as anything even close
to my primary navigation reference (esp. for IFR), it's just never an issue
when it does.

What is your experience?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering

      ----- Message from Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net> on Mon, 17 Jun
      2013 08:17:48 -0500 -----

      To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
          <reflector at tvbf.org>

 Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: ipad

I had Anywhere map years ago. It was okay but I didn't stick with it. Then
again, this was before touch screens and the stylus approach was not a good
entry tool in turbulence.  I got an iPad right after they came out. Been
running Foreflight ever since.  Looked at the others but still like
Foreflight.

If you didn't get a wireless version and you want a moving map, you'll need
an external GPS. I have the GNS5870 but there are others. The pro version
of Foreflight has georeferenced approach plates. I got the GPS almost for
free so I decided to get the pro version of Foreflight for a year to try
it.  I decided to keep the pro version. You can't have too much situational
awareness, right?  :-)

For weather, I'm still using my 396 with XM. I prefer the resolution of the
radar and the number of products of XM over the ADS weather.