REFLECTOR: ipad

Peter Braswell peter.braswell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 08:29:22 CDT 2013

Full disclosure: I'm a ForeFlight beta tester ...  but I loved FF even
before I became a beta test for them (unpaid).  Knowing some of the
internals of the application and knowing many of the developers and support
crew at ForeFlight, I'm very impressed.  They are continuing to innovate
and push the limits of what is possible.  Recently they've updated their
mapping engine which really improves performance and capability.  They've
added terrain / obstacle avoidance, runway advisor, and a really cool
feature that switches you to a taxi diagram view when you land at larger
airports.  They also have runway landing directional advisors as well as
all the other already-mentioned features like Geo-referenced approach
charts and the other stuff.

I was at the Sporty's fly-in a few weekends ago when the speaker asked the
question regarding what apps people were using.  In a room of 40-50 people,
I would say 80% raised their hands for using ForeFlight.  A handful (5-6)
said Garmin and a couple of folks were using WingX.  Personally, I think
for the money, you can't beat FF.  I fly with my iPad and my iPhone using
the new Stratus S2 GPS/ADS-B.  I think it's a really great combo.

-Peter

*"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com*