REFLECTOR: Summer trip to Vegas

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Jun 7 17:21:31 CDT 2013

I've been going to Las Vegas in my V for 10 years.

20 years ago(before the V) I always went to McCarren, walking distance
to the strip.  The FBO changed changed their tune 12-23 years ago, they
don't like or want GA, unless you burn JetA and would drown in the rain.

Switched to North Las Vegas(VGT), they are friendly, reasonable tie down
and fuel prices.  Nice Terminal but the restaurant has been closed for
years.

A few years ago I switched to Henderson, because Vegas approach kept
turning me into Nellis's airspace and Nellis would hang me up high
before turning me over to North Vegas tower, it was irritating and added
quite a bit of time. I don;t know why they don't want to use the
published VFR arrival route from the east anymore?

Henderson's prices are about the same as VGT, and you can just duck
under the class B cake and ignore approach, both from the east and the
west. Nice Terminal...  They will come out with a van if you have a
bunch of bags.

I've never rented a hanger, I do use a factory cover which covers the
fuselage and keeps the interior a lot cooler.

Scott