REFLECTOR: Long trip - what to bring?

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 4 19:44:17 CDT 2013

Mark, FWIW, living in Minnesota I've thought quite a bit about
survivability in a forced landing situation.  I can take you places in less
than two hours from my home airport where you won't see a road... or even
anything human made, for as far as you can see.  I regularly fly out west
(to Idaho)... Western South Dakota looks much like a moonscape... not many
places to find a makeshift runway, let alone a road.  Last week we flew out
east.... and I was reminded that much of western Pennsylvania looks just as
tough when it comes to finding a place to land.  Part of the trip we took
was over the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains.... not many places to land
there either.

Having the basics to survive until rescue comes just makes sense to me....,
BTW, when I go west, my .45 and two clips are also with me.  Flying over
Glacier will do that to a guy.

My two cents.

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering

      On Jun 4, 2013, at 11:06 AM, Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>