REFLECTOR: Conversion

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 30 11:00:42 CDT 2013

I don't know why folks keep trying to turn something simple into rocket science.  If you fly directly into the wind, record your ground speed (GPS), then fly a 180 course and record your GPS speed and average the numbers (S1+S2)/2 you will know your TAS +- one knot.  To answer your next question as to how do you know when your flying directly into the wind.  Start with the wind sock as a starting point.  Fly 10 degrees left of that and note GPS speed.  Continue turning right in 5 degree steps for 3 more readings.  The lowest GPS reading is the heading closest to directly into the wind.  Fly 180 from that heading and you're done.  It turns out that with a 10 knot wind and you get within 10 degrees of the true wind heading the error will be less than one knot.

Larry Coen
N136LC